TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Driving Training
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving Training Login/Join 
posted
Apparently, Sen. Whitmire needs to add defensive driving to the medley of new rehabilitative programs offered for early release of "nonviolent" felons:

A quarter of truckers at fault in fatal crashes are ex-cons

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DALLAS (AP) - A quarter of big-rig truck drivers faulted in fatal crashes in Texas from 2000 through 2005 had rap sheets, according to a newspaper analysis.

The Dallas Morning News' analysis discovered that of 953 truckers faulted in fatal crashes during that time frame, at least one in four had been convicted of a criminal offense or received deferred adjudication - in which a defendant's record doesn't reflect a conviction as long as probation is completed - before the crash.

More than 14 percent had committed drug or alcohol offenses prior to their accidents. More than one in 10 were felons.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the article, and wonder what the nexus is between being a bad driver and being an ex-con. I guess they're just out of practice, since there aren't any superhighways in the pen. (Excepting the proposals for fast checkout lanes.)

[This message was edited by Gordon LeMaire on 12-11-06 at .]

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it's the use of drugs, another "nonviolent" activity. Similar to the case we pled last week for 72 years in prison -- defendant broke into a home, looking for money for more crack cocaine, and ended up raping and strangling the elderly woman living in the home. Who knew the mere possession of a controlled substance could be so dangerous?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the 1/4 figure compares to the number of felons as a percentage of the big rig truck drivers as a whole. I am curious if the percentage in accidents is consistent with the percentage in general. I have noticed that trucking (and construction) is more forgiving of many felonies than many other occupations are.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post