TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Prosecutor called a liar in front of Jury
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prosecutor called a liar in front of Jury Login/Join 
posted
What specific rules, if any, are violated from the Texas Rules of Professional Conduct when a defense attorney says during trial, in front of the jury, that the prosecutor was just "lying" about an issue when addressing the Court ? Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait - there's an ethical rule against that? I knew about the one for prosecutors not calling defense attorneys liars, but didn't know that was mutual. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To anyone interested - I just found these two cases that reference Disciplinary Rule 3.04(c):

Checker Bag Co., a Div. of Checker Food Products Co. v. Washington
27 S.W.3d 625
Tex.App.-Waco,2000.

Amelia's Automotive, Inc. v. Rodriguez
921 S.W.2d 767
Tex.App.-San Antonio,1996.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also take a look at Tex. Disciplinary R. Prof'l Conduct 8.02(a).

Reminds me of the good old days when an adversary called me a "clueless misdemeanor prosecutor" in open court. In a civil case. I averted to Rule 8.02. The (visiting) judge's response? "Whatever."

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would your answer change if he called you a liar AWAY from the jury?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or if he called you a liar in the forest and nobody heard it....

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post