TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sufficiency of Evidence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sufficiency of Evidence Login/Join 
posted
Was there a recent CCA opinion that stated an appellant must state specific grounds for challenging the sufficiency of evidence?

I seem to remember a recent case that said he can not just claim the evidence was not sufficient but has to state which element was not proved.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a factual sufficiency claim McDuff 939 S.W.2d at 613 pretty much supports you. For legal sufficiency you could cite Gallegos, 76 S.W.3d at 228. Several unpublished court of appeals cases say factually sufficiency has to be properly briefed -- just run 38.1 /p factual! /s suff!

You might be thinking of Sims, 99 S.W.3d at 600 (appelalte court must dicuss the evidece relied upon by appellant in making a factual sufficiency claim)

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THAT'S IT! This one has been bothering me, I am going to brief the issues anyway, but I do want to be able to dig at opposing counsel.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any time they don't offer a specific sufficiency attack on a given element I always argue that they've conceded the sufficiency as to that element. Doesn't work with just a general argument, though.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post