TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Judicial Notice of the Labor Code
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judicial Notice of the Labor Code Login/Join 
posted
I think I'm missing it, but can someone help with a statute, rule, or criminal case that says the court can take judicial notice of a state statute (specifically a labor code provision). I've found civil cases on point and about judicial notice of foreign statutes, but not our own statutes.

Also, what procedures do you generally use to publish / enter as an exhibit the law after the court takes judicial notice?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

Posts: 22 | Location: Brownsville, Texas | Registered: January 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watts v. State, 99 S.W.3d 604, 610 (Tex. Crim. App. 2003) ("Texas courts can, of course, take judicial notice of the laws of this State."); see also Moreno v. State, 1992 WL 187375 at *2 (Tex.App. -- Houston [1st Dist.] August 6, 1992, pet. ref’d) ("The trial court took judicial notice that the '[TDCJ] is a place designated by law as a penal institution' and so instructed the jury.")

Cochran, Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook at 103 (6th ed. 2005-2006) ("The judicial function of determining the law is traditionally characterized as within the concept of judicial notice"); see also id. at n.38 (distinguishing law from legislative fact). A judge cannot instruct a jury regarding a legislative fact, Wyatts 99 S.W.3d at 612 n.28, but (notwithstanding TEX. R. EVID. 202(g)) a trial court may insist that the jury accept a judicially noticed law. Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook at 128.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post