TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    NMS Labs/DPS/Melendez-Diaz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NMS Labs/DPS/Melendez-Diaz Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone yet had a trial involving a blood test that DPS Austin sent to NMS Labs in Pennsylvania?

In light of Melendez-Diaz, how was this handled? Did you fly in "the" technician from Pennsylvania, or file a Certificate of Analysis with the Court..? We are not receiving Certificates of Analysis from NMS; I wonder if we should start sending blanks to NMS for them to complete in cases we know will end up in court.

Anyone from DPS (or who has heard straight from them) know why DPS went with an out of state lab to help out with their overflow to begin with?

Maybe NMS could start including Certificate of Analysis with their lab results?...

With the September 1, 2009 Mandatory Blood Draw changes, blood going to DPS Austin's lab is only going to increase...

Answers, thoughts, comments?

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
(although it doesn't directly answer your question ...)

DPS contracted labs charging for Certificates of Analysis

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I heard from the DPS Austin Lab today that they are now keeping everything "in house" and are no longer sending blood to NMS/Pennsylvania.

Couldn't get an answer to the original question, though...

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My snitch, I mean my highly reliable source of past credible information, told me that DPS's decision to send stuff out of state was a temporarily fix until they could purchase the necessary equipment and hire the right folks to do the testing in house.

My CI also told me that certain folks in Austin were very embarrassed that DPS had to send stuff out of state, but in light of the lab standards set by the Legislature, they had no choice.

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post