TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Lone Star Award
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lone Star Award Login/Join 
posted
I don't see a topic posted on TDCAA's new award, but I did see in the Dallas Morning News today that ACDA Toby Shook of Dallas was named the new recipient. Congratulations to Toby and to TDCAA for a great pick! Although the Dallas paper made it sound like Toby received the award just for prosecuting the Texas 7, I trust that you considered his long and unselfish service to the State of Texas in naming him. Toby has been a Dallas D.A. for nearly 20 years and has distinguished himself throughout that time as a DA who is dedicated to the State's interests and who is willing to handle (well) any tough assignment he was given without regard to personal advancement or attention. Over 10 years ago he was given the assignment of roaming the 15 district courts as a floating felony prosecutor, a job that some thought was useless for his career and which required him to spend months covering undermanned courts and cleaning up others' messes. After he returned to the regular prosecutor's track and made felony chief and then administrative chief, Toby continued to take on some of the office's toughest cases -- including substituting in for another DA in the middle of preparation and on short notice in the Darlie Routier capital murder trial -- and he continues to try each case he receives to the best of his considerable ability, just as he has throughout his career. He's a fine role model for what a prosecutor should be, and I'm happy to see you recognize him!

Posts: 33 | Location: Dallas, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a day and time when awards are handed out like candy (turn on any cable channel), it was an honor to see someone receive the Lone Star Award who actually deserved what it stands for (this is the first year of the award). Toby Shook best deserved to be recognized for his work, and it was great that Elected DA Bill Hill could be there to speak for Toby.

For those of you who don't know him, you would do well to call upon Toby for advice. Congratulations, Toby.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Go to "Issues in Prosecution" for a link to the DMN story on Toby and his well-deserved award ...

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post