TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Congratulations, Houston's Go-To Lawyer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Congratulations, Houston's Go-To Lawyer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to go on and on about this, but...

So what if, hypothetically, the shoe was on the other foot? What would Mr. D say about that?

I certainly don't know all of the prosecutors around the State who prosecute high profile murder cases, but I know many of them. I know some of those many pretty well. But I cannot imagine that any prosecutors I know who would make a statement such as being discussed here.

But, assuming hypothetically, a hypothetical prosecutor received a not guilty in a lengthy, hard fought, high profile murder trial where the prosecutor felt strongly about the guilt of the defendant. This hypothetical prosecutor, in:

(1) a moment of unfortunate emotion, or;
(2) an episode of ego dysfunction, or;
(3) a moment of juvenile sore-loser rant;
(4) all of the above

makes a statement critical of the jury's verdict and of the defense attorney. That statement is made after the not guilty verdict is issued and is not made in an attempt to influence the proceeding. The hypothetical prosecutor says:

"As Phil Prosecutor has previously predicted,
Dan DefenseAttorney has finally freed a guilty murderer to be released back into free society."

Would there be a hue and cry from the defense bar?

Would there be petitions denouncing this prosecutor and demanding their firing and possibly disbarment?

Would there be a civil suit for defamation/slander?

Would there be multiple bar complaints filed by incensed defense attorneys?

Would there be endless TV appearances and blogging denouncing the prosecutor and lecturing the public on this horrible act and why the prosecutor is insulting the entire system of justice (The "Everyone is Wrong but me" Syndrome)?

I don't know. What do you think?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened after that prosecutor called the jury stupid in the Robert Blake case?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judging by some of the verdicts I have seen handed down in that State. I'm not sure the rules about "no disparaging remarks" apply to California juries.

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California prosecutors certainly don't have anything on Texas prosecutors when it comes to trial abilities and professionalism.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DeGuerin was not talking about the jury, he was talking about Kelly. It was a low and very unclassy personal attack and he should be ashamed of himself. He ought to issue an apology that is as public as his attack was. Sheesh! What a sore loser.

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Seems like this reporter has a troubling addiction to mixed metaphors ...

Houston TV reporter goes one-on-one with Kelly

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She does talk kinda funny. Sort of like she is from the South or something.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She makes me proud I do what I do. I'm also happy she was my baby prosecutor school group instructor.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post