TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Chronic runaway problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronic runaway problem Login/Join 
posted
A 17-year-old child is constantly leaving home and going to stay with her boyfriend and his parents house. The runaway's parents call the sheriff's office and demand that the girl be returned home. The sheriff has done this on several occasions, and each time the runaway says she will leave her home as soon as the sheriff is out of sight and return to the boyfriend's house. The boyfriend's parents cannot be charged with harboring, IMO, because they inform the child's parents when she comes to their home, which is a defense to Harboring a Runaway. CCP 63.009 says that the sheriff shall take possession of the child and return her to her parents once they determine her location.

End result is that the runaway's parents can call every day after the child runs off and have the sheriff go get her and bring her home. Needless to say, sheriff does not want to be reduced to shuttle service, but can't prosecute the boyfriend's family for anything, nor apparently put any onus on the runaway's family for the time and expense of dealing with the yo-yo runaway.

Anyone had to deal with a chronic runaway like this before? I'd like to give my sheriff an out, but I can't think of one that wouldn't constitute a failure to perform his statutory duty. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately had to deal with this in several counties. Email me at sbrownlee@ev1.net to discuss off forum.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 17 year old is not too old to spank. A green twig off of a dogwood tree hurts like heck.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, it might just be an adolescent acting out. Or, you might have a victim of family violence. Why does she keep running when she knows the sheriff is coming to take her home?

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would Boyfriend's parents be willing to sign a criminal tress warning? Since they call the runners parents everytime it sounds like they are working with her family so might be willing. If so, hook her up next time she shows up. You'll have a better charge than a cins. Maybe that will be a little bigger stick to keep her away. (I still like the sounds of the green switch better).

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post