TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Is it a Crime?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it a Crime? Login/Join 
posted

Question:
Is it a crime to kill the talent portion of the Miss America contest? After all, isn't that why we watch?

Miss America Axes Talent Competition

By JOHN CURRAN
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. � The Miss America pageant is pulling the plug on its talent competition, eliminating the amateurish two-minute routines that have come to feature cheesy stunts such as tractor driving and trampoline jumping.

Instead, this year's crowning Sept. 18 will showcase some of the women performing in a videotaped montage culled from talent routines staged in preliminary competition.

Just one contestant chosen by the pageant's producers will perform live, after the selection of the five finalists for Miss America 2005. ABC-TV is trimming the telecast to two hours this year.

"It's the cornerstone of our organization. It's what sets us apart," said Miss America CEO Art McMaster. "If it were up to me, I'd show all 52 talents on TV. But when you're in a collaborative effort, as we are with ABC, there had to be a compromise somewhere."

Last year, an all-time low 10.3 million viewers tuned in, marking a steady decline over the last few years.

The talent routines, introduced in 1935 to help make Miss America something more than a beauty contest, became mandatory in 1938 and have been ever since. But the routines � sometimes spectacular, more often not � have generally turned off viewers.

Most typical were the baton twirlers, opera singers and piano players. But through the years, contestants have ridden horses on stage, stomped on broken glass, jumped on trampolines or driven tractors.

The talent routines once accounted for 40 percent of a contestant's score; they were 20 percent by last year. The routines will still be included in the three nights of preliminary competition leading up to the televised Saturday night crowning.

The casual wear, swimsuit and evening wear elements of the contest, which last year counted for 10 percent of a contestant's score, will each count for 20 percent this year, McMaster said.

Pageant loyalists don't like the changes.

"They're eliminating one of the core values of the Miss America competition," said former CEO Leonard Horn.

Heather French Henry, Miss America 2000, was also critical. "It's a tragedy," she said. "That's what separates us from the type of contestant that goes to Miss USA. Our young ladies get into it for the scholarships and the talent."

Get in your vote today!

Choices:
It is a felony crime
It is a misdemeanor crime
It's about time
I have never watched the Miss America contest
I can't vote, I'm in the contest

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about world peace?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm....I wonder what she means by "the type of contestant that goes to Miss USA???" Confused Eek Big Grin

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Markus Kypreos>
posted
That's like taking the articles out of Playboy. Very dissapointing.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
The talent routines once accounted for 40 percent of a contestant's score; they were 20 percent by last year .... The casual wear, swimsuit and evening wear elements of the contest, which last year counted for 10 percent of a contestant's score, will each count for 20 percent this year, McMaster said.

Sounds like most political campaigns nowadays ... Smile

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, as an alternative, the contestants should be examined on their capabilities as prominent women in positions of public note. Thus, reporters would ask them irritating questions, and the judges would evaluate their snappy, semi-profane responses (with extra credit going to contestants whose responses are profane, yet within the realm of censor acceptability). Or they could 'rassle.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they already rassle on the Miss USA contest. But there other ways they could up the ratings by moving the whole thing to HBO or letting Marc Burnett turn it into a backstage reality show.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be the only one, but I agree that the talent portion of the contest was what made Miss America a more desirable title than Miss USA. And as for all you naysayers out there, there are a lot of little girls who grow up wishing they could be Miss America. Most of us just don't admit it. Wink

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although some talents may be outraqeous, most are true talents. There have been few that actually made it to Miss America without a recognizable talent, i.e singing, acting, playing an instrument, etc. And as far as baton twirling and the likes, since it usually requires some gymnastic skills as well I wonder if we are willing to tell our USA gymnastic team that they have no talent!! Isn't the trampoline similar to a gymnastic floor routine?

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

You only offered us the usual two general catagories of crime: felony or misdemeanor. Many do not know it, but Treason is third catagory, seporate from felonies and misdemeanors.

Perhaps jacking with the Miss America Contest is more treasonious than felonius in nature. It seems so to me.

[This message was edited by Terry Breen on 08-10-04 at .]

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Scott Brumley's idea for a contest. I never had any aspirations or delusions about being Miss America. But I might have been interested in a contest that judged me on "snappy, semi-profane" responses. That's a contest I would have a chance in.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss America organizers have announced today that because of the great cry from the heartland, not only will the talent competition be reinstated, there will actually be TWO talent competitions. They promise more excitement than ever.

God, I love America. Roll Eyes

Posts: 108 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am certain, in our own small way, we influenced that decision.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post