Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper Wars Login/Join 
<Bob Cole>
posted
In its bid to deter copper theft a local business wants to use a paintball mine at a facility in order to tag thieves. It looks like this:

Master Mine

I am not a paintball afficionado, but I understand these devices are sometimes used in paintball games.

I do not intend to give legal advice on this preferring to leave that to some well-paid business law expert. Apart from civil liability does anyone see criminal problems arising out of using this device? Isn't this akin to a dye pack that a bank might use?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so cool! I want one of those. I don't know what I'd use it for, but I WANT one!

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like it would be OK under PC Sec. 9.44 (Use of Device to Protect Property). The analogy with the bank dye pack sounds appropriate.

Who knew such a thing existed. Paintball sure has come a long way since I last played it 20 years ago! Sounds a little too serious for me nowadays.

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with both previous posts -- it looks okay legally, and it looks COOL!! I think the next TDCAA conference needs to hold a paintball match. Wink

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see one possible issue with a paint ball mine and a dye pack. Paint ball guns usually shoot paint pellets which can, if they hit directly in the eye, cause damage or even blindness. I understand most paintball particpants wear eye protection for that reason. Also, would paint in the eyes cause possible damage; regular paint could. That would be my main concern as far as liability goes.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you cure that with a disclaimer: "Anyone trespassing or stealing on this property is subject to being shot with a paintball. Please wear proper eye protection at all times when trespassing or stealing. Thank you, The Management."

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if you want to really protect yourself from liability, hang a set of goggles at every likely entry point along with Gretchen's disclaimer!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post