TDCAA Community
Competency trial

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/9247099506

April 24, 2012, 08:46
Gordon LeMaire
Competency trial
Defendant is incompetent. Wants a jury trial. Case is a felony.

1) Does competency trial get heard in District court or can County court hear it?

2) How many jurors?
April 24, 2012, 10:18
JB
In district court. 12 jurors. Civil rules.

Defendant is plaintiff and gets to start. He has to prove he is incompetent, as there is a presumption of competency. By preponderance of the evidence.

Should be a short trial if everyone agrees he is incompetent (except the defendant).
April 24, 2012, 11:00
Gordon LeMaire
Thanks, very little question on competence from prosecution or defense attorney. I expect defendant will testify.
April 24, 2012, 11:34
JB
Always interesting when defendant testifies.

I had a competency trial in which the defendant's lawyer said she was incompetent, both the defendant and I agreed she was competent (even though she did have a raging mental disease). Jury agreed she was competent.

Then, at trial, defense lawyer argued she was insane. Defendant and I disagreed on that one as well. Defendant wanted self-defense (she shot her landlord because he was a CIA spy trying to assassinate her). Jury convicted.

Very interesting to see how everyone lined up.
April 26, 2012, 09:18
Floyd L. Jennings
Sorry I was late in picking this up, Gordon. John is very correct viz. the procedure. Please look, however, at 46.071(b) -- as there was a change effective 9/1/2011, such that if your def is found "unlikely to be restored", you bypass a .073 commitment and go directly to a 102/103 (or dismissal depending on the gravity of the case). Inasmuch as restoration commitments - at your local facility - cost approximately $37k, and require +-100 days, we don't go for that unless necessary. The upshot is to ensure that you have a finding on that issue.
April 26, 2012, 09:46
Gordon LeMaire
Thanks. Trial is scheduled for 25 May.
April 26, 2012, 10:44
Floyd L. Jennings
Call me anytime if you need so to do. Note that a jury verdict must be unanimous, 46B.052. It is arguable whether the jury must make the determination of likelihood of restoration, or that is a judicial finding. For if the latter, then it is a single issue matter. Folks differ on that issue. Judge Carruthers in SA argued recently that the jury should also decide on whether the def meets civil commitment criteria. I say "no", for several reasons beyond the scope of this note.