TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    SOL for Improper Photography?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOL for Improper Photography? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have any case law or other helpful authority that says the "date of the commission of the offense" for improper photography is the day it was discovered?

It seems to me that otherwise, if a victim does not discover that they have been improperly photographed until after the three-year SOL has run, then the offender just gets to walk away. But I can't find any authority to the contrary.

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the Discovery Rule even apply to criminal cases like it does with civil cases?

Posts: 36 | Location: UT - Austin Law School | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard anything that says it would, but this forum is always helpful in coming up with nuances I've never heard of.

There are ways to stretch the date for things left theft and fraud, but this may be something we need to talk about extending the SOL for in the future as Improper Photography becomes more prolific on account of cell phone cameras.

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no discovery rule in criminal cases like there is in civil cases. The date of the crime controls.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post