TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Judgment of Acquittal After Reversal on Appeal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judgment of Acquittal After Reversal on Appeal Login/Join 
posted
I lost an appeal. The appellate court issued a mandate: We reverse the trial court's judgment and render a judgment of acquittal. Is that the end of the matter? Or, do I need to draft a judgment reflecting the appellate court's ruling? This sounds like a dumb question, but I don't deal with this often. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Posts: 47 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leave that to the trial court. To do otherwise just sounds like pouring salt into the wound.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think the Trial Court will probably have you do an order after mandate.

I haven't done one for a dismissal/ acquital. But I've had to do them for random other things.

Plus, I'm pretty sure we're on borrowed time on a conviction right now. So, please post an update of what you end up doing.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's nothing you need to do. See Tex. R. App. P. 51.2(d)

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess there is no substitute for reading the rules. Thank you for your responses.

Posts: 47 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post