TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Proving Prior DWI convictions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proving Prior DWI convictions Login/Join 
posted
I have a, fairly decent, DWI case with old priors. Driver blew .15 and almost wrecked out when he pulled off the road during stop. Problem is I have the priors, but no fingerprints to prove up one and the same. Anybody have advice on how to tie this guy to the prior convicitions?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you match DOB, SSN, or other identifying information in his criminal history to his priors?

Posts: 51 | Location: Throckmorton County, Texas | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are 1982 and 1983 convictions, I do have his date of birth on the records, but no other information.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obtain certified jail packets from the arrest, which should contain book in photo, prints, arrest information, etc.

Posts: 62 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Flowers v. S., 220 sw3d 319 (CCA 07). Linking def to priors can be done all sorts of fun and magical ways. BTW, Flowers is a DWI case.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subpoena his mother.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they appear in his driving record from DPS? They can provide a full packet with a picture and DL# with his driving history.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also cross-reference the judgment's listing of the prosecutor with the State Bar website's current information on the attorney and use that to contact the attorney to see if he or she remembers and will come testify.

Yeah, I know, it's asking a lot to hope someone remembers a DWI case 25+ years later. But you never know; this may be that odd case where the prosecutor actually does remember for some reason.

And if the prosecutor doesn't remember, don't forget to ask who else might have been in the courtroom at the time, such as another prosecutor or court staff. I personally remember several colorful defendants who I didn't prosecute myself, but I nonetheless remember their trials and/or pleas and/or sentencing hearings because something funny or unusual happened. (I call these my "Cleofus Blaylock" moments.)

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was his sentence? Could you use a probation officer or jailer who could connect him to it?

Posts: 55 | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subpoena old job applications or his personnel file or his boss. Maybe he self-reported the convictions.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your second issue doesn't appear to have been addressed yet - if your priors are from 1982 and 1983: Most counties were giving deferred on DWIs back then. Or have you already looked at the wording in your priors and you're good on that part?

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can get the offense reports on those old cases, you can find those old officers. They can then testify to whatever identifiers they got from the Defendant at the time which should match the identifiers you have on your case. I've done this several times. Also, check his jail calls. I had a case where I didn't have enough to prove up the priors until the moron got on the jail phone and mentioned his two priors from Brownsville. Problem solved.

Posts: 64 | Location: Brazos County, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post