TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Tegretol - child abuse case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tegretol - child abuse case Login/Join 
posted
I'm handling a multi-victim muti-defendant child abuse with 3 live victims and 1 dead victim (all 8 years of age at the time). The deceased victim was severely bruised (over the entire circumference of the upper legs, the genitalia, buttocks and lower back) and malnourished. The pathologist ruled battered child syndrome as the cause of death but also found elevated levels of a drug called Tegretol in his body. The live victims were also severely abused. The defendants are the adoptive parents and their 18 year old natural child. The adoptive mother says she gave the deceased child more than one dose of Tegretol, a prescription drug prescribed for his seizures, within a short period of time because he was allegedly having a seizure (shortly before he died). The defense is apparently getting an "expert" pathologist to testify that the bruising was attributable to the Tegretol..... Has anyone run across this?????? All of these children have varying degrees of mental retardation and cerebral palsy so their testimony is going to be extremely limited.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, who is the expert?

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have an id on the expert yet but they have received funds from the court to get one and I'm sure they can find one under a rock somewhere.... I'll post the expert's name when I learn of it..... Thanks.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact Nancy Kellogg, M.D. at Alamo Children's Advocacy Center in San Antonio. I used her on my child starvation case last year and she's a wonderful witness, as well as a very well-informed pediatrician. She's become somewhat of an expert in starvation cases, and since that is an aspect of your case, she'd be a great person to start talking to about your case. E-mail me or call me and I'll give you more info on her.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My wife has a seizure condition and she was on Tegretol for several years. I don't recall any unnatural bruising being a side effect ever. A good person to contact regarding Tegretol side effects would be a respected Neurologist.

Posts: 97 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Tegretol:

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/teg1430.htm

(It does mention bruising as possible side effect. Good "nuts and bolts" web page.)

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post