TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    HB 3241
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HB 3241 Login/Join 
posted
On quick reading of the bill my first reaction was what a bold step and my second reaction was, it's about time. I have not had time to review the bill in great detail but it appears to address several DWI issues that have needed to be fixed for a long time. Shannon, you asked for input once we read it....at first blush,put me down as in favor!! Curiuos what others think?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This bill deserves, and will need, all the help that can be mustered. Hats off to Shannon and J.D. Granger.

Link
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/tlo/textframe.cmd?LEG=79&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=03241&VERSION=1&TYPE=B

Posts: 67 | Registered: February 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tip of the hat to State Rep. Todd Smith as well, who has shown that he understands intoxication offenses and has credibility with the various groups we will need to pass the legislation.

[This message was edited by BLeonard on 03-28-05 at .]

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than emails or calls of support to local Reps. and Senators, is there any other action that we can take to assist with this issue? Letters from a bunch of DA's, ADA's, and CA's to a targeted group in Austin or massive email campaign? Any ideas Shannon or Rob? Convoy to Austin?
Lastly, I don't really think this is essential, but maybe beneficial, specific language that clarifies nothing contained in these amendments prohibit the seeking and granting of an evidentiary search warrant(so we still have that option on first time DWI's if needed).

posted Hide Post
Sounds good; how can I help?

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to become involved in the work on this bill, please email me (edmonds@tdcaa.com).

Posts: 2423 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, this bill looks great. Seems to me any group that is serious about making it easier to get drunks off the road should go for this.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just read the bill. I encourage everyone to jump on board and write their state rep and senator to let them know how much this will help. The deferred for first time DWI offenders even gives the defense attorneys something to be happy with in the bill, while still allowing us to use them to enhance. Thanks to all of the folks who took the time to write this up!

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a brief email with Shannon and, on his suggestion, I have drafted a short letter to my Rep. and Senator supporting the bill as well as a letter of gratitude to Rep.Todd Smith.
I would encourage others who support this bill to do the same. Just this week I reviewed a case with a 3rd DWI arrest that is still a misd. due to the 10 year rule...it needs to be fixed.

posted Hide Post
They are very basic but I will get them to you in the next day or so.

posted Hide Post
David,
If you will post your fax # the letters will be on their way.

posted Hide Post
I see that HB 3241 is set for a hearing today. May I make a formal request for an update from somebody who was there to let us know how it went?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please also note the request from Shannon to let him know if your office supports the changes for use next week if needed.

posted Hide Post
The San Antonio Express News has a section called
"The Lege," in which the paper prints stories on bills that are pending before the Legislature. I keep looking for something, anything, on this bill, but haven't seen anything. What does it take to get people to notice this bill? Has anyone seen this bill getting play anywhere else in the media?

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyboby know the status of this bill, now? Does "Left pending" necessarily mean left for dead?

Posts: 19 | Location: Waxahachie, Texas, USA | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Please see the legislative page for information on this, and other bills. That page is updated weekly.

Posts: 2423 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post