TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    UCW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UCW Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know what the law is regarding a civilian owning a taser. I am teaching a college criminal law class and was asked what the law was. Also, I was asked about a weapon that is plastic and looks like knuckles but shoots out a small force like a taser. I don't think it fits under the definition of knuckles because it is not designed for inflicting SBI by striking a person with a fist. The person is being struck with a laser.

Posts: 10 | Location: huntsville, texas | Registered: March 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to your question but this I do know, Kelly.

The first generation tasers, in the very early 80's, used gunpowder to propel their barbs, and thus were classified as firearms.

The new tasers do not use gunpowder to propel the barbs. Thus, it is not a firearm.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some states have included tasers in their statutory definitions for "deadly weapons", etc. Texas, however, has not done so. There is a great deal of disagreement over their use, by the public as well as law enforcment. I don't know, though, specifically why Texas has not adopted any statutes.

A handy chart outlining laws applicable to tasers in the 50 states can be found at:

http://www.taser.org/laws.html

Posts: 47 | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
I don't know, though, specifically why Texas has not adopted any statutes.

Several bills to specifically regulate tasers in one way or antoher have been filed but have never passed into law. I can't tell you why -- I haven't followed them very closely because none of our members have expressed concerns to me about the issue.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy them in any gun shop.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "knuckles" device you are talking about may be a Kimber Lifeacat Guardian Angel that shoots pepper spray. You can view it on their website at http://www.life-act.com/guardianangel.php to verify it is the same thing.

Posts: 40 | Location: Wharton, Tx | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post