TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Psychiatric evaluation of co-defendant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Psychiatric evaluation of co-defendant Login/Join 
posted
I recently received a motion in a capital murder case in which the defense wants to have the co-defendant examined by their psychiatrist.

I cited to all the cases prohibiting the defense from doing a psych or physical exam on a victim, but found none addressing a co-defendant.
Anybody ever dealt with this type motion?

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't the co-defendant raise the 5th and refuse to cooperate?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the co-defendant a joint indictee or the subject of a separate criminal action? If he is not even a party to the case, then how can the court order a third person to submit to such an exam? Due process does not involve any general right of discovery and even if such an exam were required by due process, how could such an order be enforced? Even Tex.R.Civ.P. 204 and 205 do not permit mental examinations of non-parties in civil cases. Unless the co-defendant wants to voluntarily help out his partner-in-crime, the court should get a chuckle from this motion. Maybe there's no case on point because the proposition is so ridiculous on its face.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
(a) "Examined" for what?

(b) Isn't the co-defendant's attorney raising a stink about this motion as well?

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Examined for what? Been asking myself the same thing. Actually, the co-defendant may very well end up cooperating w/ us and testifying against his cohort, so I suspect the motion is an attempt to dig up some impeachment on him.

Yes, I do think the co-def. could take the 5th, but I'd rather just head it off at the pass.
Thanks for the input, it's always good to see that my assessment isn't off base.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post