TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Field testing devices for synthetic marijuana
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Field testing devices for synthetic marijuana Login/Join 
posted
This device apparently obtains presumptive positive results for drugs, including synthetic marijuana, using a technique called Raman spectroscopy. We haven't previously been able to field test for synthetics, so it seems like a useful tool for that.

Of course, it's less useful if the officer can't testify in court regarding the results obtained. The maker of the device says that various law enforcements agencies in Amarillo, Lubbock, Houston, Dallas, El Paso, Kennedy, and Victoria are using it. But I'm wondering if the testimony holds up in court. Anyone have any experiece with this or similar testing?

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case you didn't know, Sirche is now making a multi-compound http://www.sirchie.com/nark-ii...reagent-5-tests.html field test for synthetic cannabinoids. Works just like the field tests giving presumptive positives for cocaine/heroin/lsd/ etc. More expensive than those, but certainly easier than in field spectroscopy.

I would have significant doubts of getting an officer to testify in an admissible way regarding raman spectroscopy, and would not personally rely on it at trial without confirmatory testing by a DPS lab. My personal belief is that these tools are probably best utilized as a way to decide when to submit the material for further testing, rather than as a basis for prosecution alone. To that end, it might be worthwhile for the PD to have one just as a screening device to aid you in deciding which items to submit to DPS, but I wouldn't rely on it any further than that. YMMV.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post