Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prosecution Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes, the workload is what it is rumored to be. However, I was able to work part time after my first semester of law school, and full time during the summers. I was never so happy as when I didn't fill out a financial aid form my last year. (Mind you, I had a working wife.) Still, if you live cautiously, drive a paid-for used car and work part time, you can come out of law school without crushing debt. Oh, and I loved when I paid it all off one day. Go to a state school, work during, and keep up with the reading. And don't lose perspective. Keep an outlet for relaxation, be it, social life, the gym, or whatever. Ride a bike as fast as you can. Surf. Do whatever it takes, but don't lose yourself in law school or you will be miserable.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I graduated from Texas Tech School of Law and received an excellent legal education. Not to mention, cost of living in Lubbock is so much lower than in Houston or Austin. I went to law school in my early 40s. I found the first year harder. However, if you are a good reader (that means relatively fast with good comprehension) and are disciplined about your use of time, you should be able to work at least part time and do well in your law classes. Take summer school so you can take a lighter load during your second and third year which will help you handled the double load of work and school. Good luck,

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you can work as hard as you want in law school and it can take up as much time as you give. I didn't study nearly as hard as some of my classmates and my grades reflected it. They weren't horrible, but weren't the best. I know I could have done better. Of course the better the grades, the better offers you will likely get coming out of law school - actually b/4 starting your 3rd year. I knew I didn't want to work for one of the big firms and planned on going out on my own so I wasn't as wrapped up in grades as I might should have been.
As for whether you want to prosecute or go to one of the big firms or something else or something non related to law school, you will have plenty of time to figure that out. Try to intern for a DA's office (good grades can help here) or for a criminal def. atty to get an idea of what it's like. You can then try to work for a civil firm and see what that's like. I said I could never do defense work and then when i graduated, I did just that for about 2 years. I'm glad I did, but feel like I'm where I need to be now. Thing is, with a law degree, you can do any number of things. Just b/c you go in thinking you want to prosecute, doesn't mean you are locked in to that career. You can learn to play the banjo and join a band...I digress.
Finally, I too encourage summer school. I did it both semesters and worked as well (2nd year). Helped lighten my load alot and made my 3rd year much easier. Also made for more time that I could work and keep up with my lighter school load.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That moniker really threw me off! As a DPS Trooper, you were (almost) the first Texas Ranger I'd ever heard of that was going to leave his position to go to law school.

As a Ranger, you'd easily make more than any ADA I'm aware of, and you'll only top a Ranger's salary by running for office and becoming THE District Attorney.

Good luck with your decision. I've always been very impressed with the positive attitude the prosecutors on this forum exhibit towards their profession.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post