TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Penal Code 12.44 (a)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penal Code 12.44 (a) Login/Join 
posted
Scenario:

Defendant as part of plea bargain is convicted of State Jail Felony and is sentenced to 2 years probated 5.

Defendant screws up and is later revoked. Can judge now punish defendant under 12.44(a)?, or is he or she required to punish as State Jail?

Posts: 38 | Location: Henderson County | Registered: July 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art. 42.12, sec. 23, CCP, says a judge, following revocation, can sentence a defendant to "a shorter term of confinement" by reducing the sentence to "any term of confinement not less than the minimum prescribed for the offense of which the defendant was convicted."

So, the question is whether a sentence under sec. 12.44(a), PC, meets that language. Note that last session the Leg amended sec. 12.44(b) to add a requirement of prosecutor consent. No such requirement for 12.44(a).

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing.

CCP says judge may sentence to ..."any term of confinement not less than the minimum prescribed for the offense of which the defendant was convicted".

Lets say the prosecutor agrees, even though he does not have to agree under 12.44(a) Since the defendant was "convicted" of a State Jail, my thought would be that the judge can "punish" as Class A even on a revocation where the defendant was sentenced to 2 years probated 5.

Posts: 38 | Location: Henderson County | Registered: July 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That seems to be a reasonable reading of that provision. One could argue that the punishment range is limited to the sentence already imposed: state jail time. Just depends on how much you care.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would argue that since confinement in state jail was specified in the original judgment, only a reduced term in state jail can now be imposed. Sec. 12.44(a) applies at the time of trial, not at a later sentencing proceeding. Only art. 42.12 sec. 23(a) applies in your situation (via (f)(1) of sec. 15).

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I agree with Martin, particularly if a prosecutor originally agreed to the state jail sentence as part of a plea agreement.

posted Hide Post
Would the result be the same for a deferred, since there is no finding of guilt?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More significantly, there is no decision on a sentence, so the judge's options are left open.