TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    identity of payer of attorney fees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

identity of payer of attorney fees Login/Join 
posted
Interesting Arizona case wherein prosecution wants jury to hear that NRA is paying the defendant's legal fees:
http://www.paysonroundup.com/section/frontpage_lead/story/23266

Would that info be admissible in Texas?

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was doubtful at first. But finally the article mentioned that the defense's "self-defense expert" is an attorney who represented the NRA in various other matters. I think showing the NRA is also bankrolling the defense is perfectly legitimate to show potential bias.

Another interesting tidbit towards the end of the article -- the NRA lobbied for a recent change in the self-defense law, putting more of a burden on the prosecution, and now they're arguing the new law should apply in this case. This is starting to turn a little incestuous, don't you think? Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Unlike the (misnamed) "castle doctrine" bills that the NRA has been pushing across the country, it's my understanding that the recent change in Arizona merely made self-defense a "defense" under the Texas definition (once raised, must be disproved BRD by state). Formerly, it was the equivalent of our affirmative defense (once raised, must be proved by preponderance by defendant). Now it's more like Texas law.

All that aside ... I have a hard time seeing how you'd get that before a Texas jury. Maybe I'm just not creative enough. Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't see any relevance that would overcome a 403 objection.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post