TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DP Thrown Out in Houston
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DP Thrown Out in Houston Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The Houston court hearing testimony about the constitutionality of the procedures surrounding the death penalty in Texas will continue to hear evidence despite an emergency appeal from the Harris County District Attorney's office late Monday to the state's highest court to halt the proceedings.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am clueless as to the legal theory that authorizes this hearing.

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Death is different." That's the only legal theory anti-DP advocates ever need.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals halted a death penalty hearing late this afternoon, after an emergency appeal from the Harris County District Attorney's Office.

[This message was edited by JB on 12-07-10 at .]

Details.

[This message was edited by JB on 12-08-10 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Houston judge faces possible discipline for violating judicial ethics by reducing the bail of a recently arrested sheriff's deputy without notifying prosecutors, legal experts said.

Details.

posted Hide Post
And it looks like mandamus has been granted in this case. Good job by the Harris County DA's office.

Looks to be a well-written opinion, emphasizing that the kind of general debate about the death penalty that the defendant sought should be done through the legislatures rather than the courts.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this opinion mean we can move to dismiss pre-trial challenges to the constitutionality of a particular statute?

Posts: 62 | Registered: March 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the Harris County DA and her office for defending the rule of law. Just as the Third Court of Appeals rejected such shenanigans in a trumped up "court of inquiry" in Judge Baird's court, the Court of Criminal Appeals rejects the use of a court as a forum for social arguments against the death penalty.

posted Hide Post
I'm with Andrea. I like the opinion's emphasis on the legislature as the proper forum for this discussion.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of a primer on how government is structured to work. Courts decides individual cases based on facts. Legislature decides policy based on broad-based social needs that are balanced against limited resources.

posted Hide Post
Pretty shrewd pinning the denial of relief on an impermissible declaratory judgment. Looks more like the opinion rests on state procedural grounds rather than the idea that the Eighth Amendment isn't triggered until a conviction.

Posts: 104 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt that will prevent a loudly filed cert petition and press release/conference.

posted Hide Post
I wonder if it will be in all caps.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, I am sure it will be in all CRAPS. Red Face (Did I write that out loud.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to see the name RJ back around these parts.

Great decision, btw.

[This message was edited by GG on 01-12-11 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The capital murder prosecution that launched a rare judicial review of the death penalty in Texas and garnered national attention ended Wednesday with an unexpected plea deal for John Edward Green Jr.

If convicted, Green, 26, would have faced the death penalty or life without parole. His trial was in its sixth week of jury selection.
Around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, after juror No. 12 had been chosen, Green authorized his attorneys � Casey Keirnan and Bob Loper � to approach prosecutors with a deal: He would plead guilty to a lesser murder charge in exchange for a 40-year prison term.

Details.