TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Advice for a new attorney?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for a new attorney? Login/Join 
posted
First of all, let me acknowledge that I'm not certain that this particular forum is the appropriate place for my question. If it belongs elsewhere, please move it to the correct forum with my apologies.

I know that this is not the first time a new attorney such as myself has sought advice on this board, and I have searched for and read those previous threads with great interest.

I am a recent graduate (May 2007) of Indiana University School of Law--Bloomington who has just returned to the city I call home, Austin (my point being that I did not attend a Texas law school).

I received my license in November. When I left for law school, I did so with the intent to work in the criminal field. That desire has not changed. To that end, I am seeking employment in either a city, county, or state prosecutor's office.

Right off, I know that I'm in the wrong city for someone just starting off. For the time being I will continue to focus on Austin, Travis, and the surrounding towns and counties, for the simple reason that my significant other is happy with their new career here and I'm not ready to disrupt that at this point.

My question is this: Is there anything that I could be actively doing that might better express my abilities and my great desire to work in the field, rather than simply applying for those advertised positions as they come up? Is looking in Travis/Austin a lost cause for someone just out of school who didn't attend UT? Are entry-level positions truly filled through the application process, or is there something I'm missing?

I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment, and I'm worried that my lack of knowledge and access to resources in regards to the system of hiring in Texas has put me at a great disadvantage.

To those still reading...I would appreciate any input that you might have, and I apologize for the lack of brevity in my post!

Thanks.

Posts: 11 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are determined to work in that geographic area, and can afford to do it, volunteer at one of those offices for a few months until a spot opens up. You'll get valuable experience, they're rarely going to turn down free labor, and you demonstrate your desire to be a part of their team. It's a win win all around. Except for the money part, of course.

Posts: 17 | Location: Conroe, Texas | Registered: April 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an attorney so this advice is worth what you paid for it...

Since the spring semester is about to begin it is good timing to do a silent audit of the "Criminal Defense Clinic" at the law school in Austin to learn some of the local flavor. Just remember that they will be teaching from a defense perspective.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with interning. I know quite a few of our recent hires were interns first. I'd also recommend that you try to get involved with some of the local lawyer groups, like the county bar association or the county young lawyers' association. That'll both give you a chance to make some personal contacts among the places you're looking and show that you have a connection to the area and are serious about staying there.

I suppose as disclosure I should mention that I'm on the board for our local young lawyers association. Wink But when I was job-hunting, I spent a lot of time going to meetings like that or lunchtime CLEs that a lot of groups offer. It really is a good way to make connections.

[This message was edited by AndreaW on 01-14-08 at .]

[This message was edited by AndreaW on 01-14-08 at .]

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send a resume and cover letter to every D.A. and C.A. in the area you are interested in, and tell them you plan to be in their town in the next couple of weeks, and would like to drop by.

Then go visit them. Don't wait for an invite, just go. Be sure you bring an extra copy of your resume with you. Usually they'll make time to visit with you. Even if the head honcho is in trial or away, you'll probably be able to talk to an assistant. Find out when the honcho will be available, and then come back for a second visit.

Typically they won't have any openings, but that can change in 24 hours. As one boss said, "I'm the last one to know when someone is leaving." And having met you in person, they are far more likely to call you when an opening arises, than someone who just sent them a resume.

There are other things you can do, to enhance your job prospects. Boning up on your Irish history is a no-brainer, as I explained in an earlier post on this same subject (which I assume you have read.) There were other excellent ideas on that string from other prosecutors, you would do well to heed (altho, frankly, some of the advice was a little over the top.)

Good luck.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
When I asked a respected attorney in Waco that same question ** years ago his reponse was, "Go to dental school while you still can!"

I agree with those that advised interning in an office. If you are financially able you will get great insight. Don't overlook the neighboring rural counties.

[This message was edited by Bob Cole on 01-14-08 at .]

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Lots of lawyers wants to live and work in the Austin area. The local offices get inundated with applications, so unless your resume stands out -- due to experience, or connections, or whatnot -- you might have better luck buying lottery tickets. At least until you get more experience or make more connections, that is.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Williamson County is very close to Travis County. And less nudity.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.

I really cannot afford interning without pay, but it sounds like I might have to bite the bullet and try to do it anyway (I work two jobs right now as is, so perhaps I could continue to make money in the evenings).

I have joined many of the various associations around (Austin Young Lawyers for example) and I will be participating in some of their events in an attempt to meet others.

As far as I can tell Travis county doesn't even hire right out of school, so I have been looking at the surrounding towns and counties.

Does anyone have an opinion about the AG's office?
They seem to often have lots of openings that do not require experience (though to be sure I've never heard word one back about my applications to any of them).

Posts: 11 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to volunteer at both Tarrant and Dallas counties before I landed my first paying prosecutor gig. I also spent some time in the Child Support division of the OAG.

Talk about interesting...try tracking down "baby's daddies" for a day.

Posts: 64 | Location: Johnson County, Texas | Registered: May 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I graduated I.U. - Bloomington in 2002. I now work as a prosecutor in West Texas. Give me a shout on e-mail and we can talk.

Posts: 62 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked as a baby prosecutor for Travis County Attorneys office, then went to Wilco County Attys, now at the AG as an appellate prosecutor. Please call me if you would like to chat.

Georgette
512 936 1773

Postconviction Litigation
Office of the Attorney General

Posts: 32 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: May 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be great. Can you give me an idea as to when would be a good time for you?

posted Hide Post
A quick look at a county map of Texas indicates that, in addition to Williamson, there are 7 other counties surrounding Travis County.

Milam, Lee, Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Blanco, and Burnet, and those are only the ones that appear to be immediately outside Travis. Widening the circle only offers more possibilities. Interning is great for the experience and the contacts. If your only option is to work for free, you should strongly consider smaller (i.e., generally lower-paying) counties as a means to both income and experience. Just be respectful of any opportunity you are given and fairly consider how long you will be willing to hold such a position, and don't go in with the idea that you will bail on a good office at the first opportunity.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good point.

I do check most of those counties listings weekly, especially as I'm becoming more realistic about the distance that I may need to commute.

Any idea whether county offices usually have openings that aren't advertised? Should I visit in person to speak with someone or drop off résumés, as was suggested above?

posted Hide Post
You should contact the HR department of all of those counties. The only counties that list on TDCAA do so because they wish to. Although most DA's offices do list openings on this site, it is possible that some do not.

I echo the above sentiment regarding a road trip. Put on your best suit and make the rounds. There will be people in court, away from work or otherwise busy, but you never know who you might get to meet and talk to if you personally visit. Have a cover letter for your resume addressed to each official you will try to meet. If the DA is busy or not there, talk to one of the assistants or to the DA's secretary.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DA's office doesn't hire straight from law school, but the County Attorney (which does misdemeanors) does...

Posts: 61 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you checking the job bank on this website? Even counties that don't necessarily have an updated website will often post their DA jobs here. Caldwell has one currently. It's a small office and they don't pay much, but the people there are awesome, and being a small office, you'd get some good experience.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been checking the job bank here. Would you suggest that I try for jobs that I don't appear to be qualified for, such as the Caldwell county position (it appears to require a certain number of jury trials, which I don't have)?

posted Hide Post
I get lots of applications way outside the minimum experience requested. Those applications are largely returned with a letter explaining that we generally don't hire anyone without felony trial experience because the openings require that someone come in with the ability to try a case. The WC office does not prosecute misdemeanors (those are handled in the county attorney's office), so we don't promote that much from within.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post