TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Marriage for Money
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marriage for Money Login/Join 
posted
Mom is selling her 16 year girl old to a 31 year old man for marriage. 16 year old does not want to marry but thinks she has to do as her mom says (Muslim background). We are thinking of charging with conspiracy to commit sexual assault. ???
Has anyone dealt with a similar fact situation? What did you charge? What pit falls are we looking at? Any advice and/or suggestions are appreciated!!

Posts: 62 | Location: Dumas, Texas | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My immediate thought is can you prove BRD that the purchaser intended to consummate "the marriage" or otherwise sexually assault before the girl was 17 and that the mother knew this was going to occur before the child was 17?

I know I've read in news articles about this practice in other countries that often the purchaser agrees not to consummate the relationship until the child bride is an adult, but that sometimes legal and violent disputes erupt when the purchaser does not keep that promise.

So I would say don't be surprised when you hear the D and the purchaser claiming no cosummation would have occurred before the child became an adult.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post