TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    State's Right to Jury - Where's the Rule?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State's Right to Jury - Where's the Rule? Login/Join 
posted
I feel somewhat foolish asking, but, I am certain that the State has a right to demand a jury ONLY in a felony case, but I have a judge who seems to think otherwise, and I can't find the clear authority to answer the question... CCP 1.13 seems to (following the "plain meaning" rationale of Curry-Carr) give the State that right in a misdemeanor case. I'm convinced that's not correct, but where is the authority?

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The State has a right to a jury trial in both a felony and misdemeanor case. There is a bill in the current legislative session that attempts to take that right away from prosecutors.

That same bill has been filed in the last two sessions and has failed to pass.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John.

Maybe that's where the seed got planted in the back of my head. Sure wasn't from reading the statute or the case law.

-Neel

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post