TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Civil forfeiture where respondent dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civil forfeiture where respondent dies Login/Join 
posted
I have an unusual situation where I could use some guidance. We have a civil forfeiture filed against money where the respondent filed an answer through an attorney. The respondent has since died and his attorney will not answer our phone calls. The attorney has also not shown up to at least one court date that I'm aware of and possible more. What exactly is the next step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 67 | Location: Sulphur Springs, TX | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could file a "suggestion of death" under Texas Rules of Civil Procedure 152. Even though the forfeiture is technically in rem, someone (or your respondent's estate) succeeds to his interest in the property at issue. [TRCP 152 will bring the successor in interest of a deceased defendant in an ongoing civil matter into the case.]

Another possibility is that you might end up in probate court.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post