TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Easement for Utilities on Property Taken for Taxes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easement for Utilities on Property Taken for Taxes Login/Join 
posted
I am hoping someone has had a similar experience and can enlighten me on this.

The County has some real property that was struck off to the County and a couple of other taxing entities for non-payment of taxes. A utility company is building a power line from a new substation, and wants/needs an easement to take the line through this property.

Our questions are: (1) can an easement be sold to the utility company without going through any sort of bid process (I tend to think yes for several reasons, but would welcome any authority to the contrary); (2) do we have to give notice to the other entitites, and do they ahve to approve the sale; and (3) how would the proceeds from the sale be split among the entities, evenly, or pro rata, based on the back taxes?

Any thoughts, experiences, or authority will be appreciated.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our CC just approved a pipeline easement across county trust property. We treated the pipeline company as any other party interested in trust property. I negotiated a price with the "purchaser" and presented the "bid" to the CC. After the CC accepted the bid, it was presented to the other interested parties and the proceeds were distributed on a pro-rata basis.

I'd have to dig, but can provide a copy of the easement agreement.

Posts: 24 | Location: Liberty, Texas | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post