TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    campaign question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

campaign question Login/Join 
posted
Candidate has amber electronic sign that looks JUST like a TxDot message set roadside (probably not in right of way) Obviously this cannot have the standard disclaimer. Is there an exemption for this? Driving to work this morning, I honestly THOUGHT it was a warning sign until I read it closely.

This feels wrong to me...any one have a starting place to figure out if it is?

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Election Code sections 255.001 and 255.007.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott. I got it out of the right of way, but people are still ticked that it looks exactly like an emergency message sign. Oh well.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were ticking off the motoring public with my campaign sign, it would be gone!

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider Transportation Code 544.006(a):

"A person may not place, maintain, or display on or in view of a highway an unauthorized sign, signal, marking, or device that: (1) immitates or resembles an official traffic-control device or railroad sign or signal."

But be careful; much leeway is given to the speaker in First Amendment activity.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GOOD CATCH!!! Thank you!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney