TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Locking Up Spray Paint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locking Up Spray Paint Login/Join 
posted
The Anti-Graffiti Community Task Force in our area has issued a report with several recommendations to address the problem of graffiti in our area. One recommendation is repealing section 485.018 of the Health & Safety Code. This section prohibits a political subdivision from requiring stores to lock up abusable volatile chemicals. These chemicals are easily accessible to underage youth because they are on the shelves of stores in cities all over the state. The law requires that the buyer of these chemicals be 18 years old, however, many of these teens are stealing the spray paint because of their accessibility. Once repealed, the committee recommends that the City pass an ordinance requiring all businesses located within the City to lock up or place spray paint behind the cashier�s counter. I would like to get some feedback before taking further steps. What do you think about this recommendation?

Posts: 3 | Location: El Paso, Texas, USA | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the owner of a hardware store I would not be for this. I would however not oppose it if you would first ban the sale of knives,cars,chains,axes,shovels,baseball bats,screwdrivers,chlorine,rat poison,rope,telephone cables/cords,chainsaws,handsaws,,,,,,,

At some point bottled water should be considered ae well as I`m sure it COULD be abused as well. Some people are going to violate the law no matter how badly WE want them to behave well. The cost of compliance for these kinds of agendas are VERY expensive for retailers and are inflationary in nature in the real world. In fact , putting spray paint behing a cage would just give those people something else to contemplate (Hey man! We can use the wire cutters on isle 13 to cut the cage open!) Give us a break.

Posts: 15 | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post