TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Worker's comp requirments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worker's comp requirments Login/Join 
posted
When we contract with anyone to provide work or services for the county, the "specs" always require that contractor to be covered under the worker's comp umbrella.....
We are currently seeking proposals for grounds maintenance of our county owned golf course and the question has arisen whether we should require the contractor to provide any insurance at all(my answer is yes they need to provide insurance in the event one of their employees is injured using county provided equipment, etc.). Secondly, is there a better option than workers comp? Or is that the preferred or required method?
We are only anticipating 3-4 workers to be employed under this contract....
I understand the cost will ultimately be born by the county as reflected in the bids, just wondering if there is another alternative you use?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have blindly required it. I am not sure how much it helps the county because as a third party, not the employer, they can sue the county. However, the tort claims act is a limited waiver. I am not sure how much you get for the coverage, given the county is not liable for everything that might happen. You might make sure they (employer) and the insurer waive the right to subrogate against the county. This should eliminate the insurer and employer joining in the employee's suit.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post