TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Sequestration Question for Constable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sequestration Question for Constable Login/Join 
posted
A constable who has a Writ of Sequestration to serve tomorrow has posed this question: If the Writ says the Constable is to take possession of furniture, and the owners don't allow him entry into their home to pick up the furniture, does he have authority to make entry into their home?

Hope some of you can help me out with this one. I'm a little rusty on Writs of Sequestration...

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am working off of memory here so I can not guarantee this but the answer is No. The only time a constable can make unwelcome entry to a person's home is to serve a Writ of Possession following an eviction proceeding. In your case, if the person refuses entry the party who obtained the Writ of Sequestration would have to file a Motion to Compel with the court, have the person served with a Show Cause order, the court conducts a hearing. The court then orders the person in possession to hand over the furniture to the constable under threat of contempt. By this time the party wanting to keep the furniture will either give it up voluntarily, post a replevy bond, move, hide the furniture, or destroy it. Naturally this could result in criminal charges if the person takes the stupid action.

Posts: 109 | Location: Llano, TX USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the answer is 'no'. Exception: written and signed court order permitting forced entry in the specific case. But it is the plaintiff who seeks the court order, not the constable.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post