TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Rural Cemetary Concerns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rural Cemetary Concerns Login/Join 
posted
The local historical commission spokesman came to me yesterday and told me that a church in a rural city in my county was errecting a building over a plot of land that contained the graves of two persons buried in the late 1800's.

The headstones for the graves had been removed and relocated approximately 7 years ago but not the bodies.

He now wants me to file an injunction on behalf of the Historical Commission and the County to stop the chruch's building project.

Suggestions?

Steve Keathley

Posts: 9 | Location: Corsicana, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve, check Section 711.010, Health & Safety Code. Before improvements can be constructed over an abandoned cemetery, the "state registrar" must issue a written order to remove any human remains. Also, a district court can order removal of any dedication of the property for cemetery purposes.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick

Steve

Posts: 9 | Location: Corsicana, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post