TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    DA Investigators: Exempt or Non-exempt?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DA Investigators: Exempt or Non-exempt? Login/Join 
posted
Now that my county has imposed more specific time-keeping requirements on non-exempt employees, my investigators have decided that they would like to become exempt employees. Sounds great to me. I think my Chief Investigator can easily meet the test for exemption under the FLSA. But can the other investigators? Rank-and-file police officers are non-exempt. But DA investigators are an entirely different type of peace officer. Does anyone else have exempt investigators? If so, I'd appreciate any thoughts on articulating that exemption to the satisfaction of the Department of Labor.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DOL lumps all kinds of peace officers and detectives (and others) together, so unless they are managerial/administrative you have an uphill battle.

See http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtim...first_responders.htm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on the DoL standards that classify those who do "investigations or inspections for violations of law; ... interviewing witnesses; ... preparing investigative reports" as non-exempt, that's how we classify our investigator.

Posts: 90 | Location: Lockhart TX | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post