TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Protective Orders vs. Kiddos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protective Orders vs. Kiddos Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
A bill has been filed to permit protective orders to be entered vs. children-assailants (kid vs. kid cases):

SB 55

Query: has anyone out there been UNable to file a PO vs. a minor respondent? It's a well-intentioned bill, but it's been brought to our attention that it might not be necessary, and I thought I'd throw it out there to see what y'all think. Feel free to email me directly if you wish.

Shannon

Posts: 2423 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This bill would help clarify that a protective order can be filed under all the subsections defining family violence. That is a good idea because minors, while unlikely to be married, regularly enter violent dating relationships.

There is also the proposed addition to the section on service that indicates � in cases with minors � that the child AND the child�s parent, guardian, etc. must be served. That is what I have done anyway when these situations have come up.

Otherwise it appears to repeat what we already can do under current law.

Posts: 18 | Location: Galveston | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post