TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Sheriff and fences
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheriff and fences Login/Join 
posted
Hypo: Sheriff's deputy goes out to a property dispute is shown a plat and is told that the fence is in the wrong place. Other property owner is told about it and the owner of the property where the offending fence is located commences to tear it down while deputy is there along with the neighbor. Turns out the fence destroyer may have been wrong (imagine that). Now neighbor whose fence was destroyed wants the county to pay for rebuilding the fence. Saying it was the county's fault for allowing the fence to be torn down. Anybody see any liability arising from the deputy's conduct?

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not for county-texas torts claim act does not waive immunity unless the county's motorized property was doing the tearing as in using a bulldozer. No civil rights for the County unless this is the custom or policy of the County.

As to the practicing law without a license, or making rulings without being elected a judge, or intruding upon private property disputes....well..... well..........Beautiful country down there----- wished I had a few hundred acres.......... Roll Eyes

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No equipment and not a policy or practice. As for the other issues .....well....lets just say they have been discussed. Thanks for the compliment. I think so too. Wish I had a couple hundred acres myself. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post