TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Employment Law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Employment Law Login/Join 
posted
I am Project Director of a small drug task force. We have had a situation several years ago where two agents got married. Later they divorced it caused a major rift in the department. I want to prevent furture problems by not allowing dating cohabitating or marriage among employees of that department. My assistant tells me I cannot do that but cannot find any cases to justify her position.
I appreciate any help.

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a generic policy in our county against married people working in the same office. When commissioners first got it in the craw to enact the policy, we looked at the issue for any discrimination issues. We didn't find any. A regulation that says two people in a particular government office cannot be married does not infringe upon any fundamental right (you're not telling them they can't associate; you're just telling them they can't get married or shack up). Thus, it only needs to survive rational relation review (that means you win if you can come up with a legitimate governmental interest which is rationally related to the regulation). Based on your concerns, it would appear that your proposed policy is workable, if not good reality TV. Apparently, you're no Chuck Woolery (Remember him from "Love Connection"?).

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott
I should have known to call you in the first place.

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post