TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Hiring of Employees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiring of Employees Login/Join 
posted
I have a city that wants to hire a specific person for an open job with the city. The city does not want to advertise for applications for the job opening. Does a city (and a county) have to advertise for applications for the job opening or is the city (and a county) allowed to hire an employee without advertising for the job opening?

Posts: 39 | Location: Haskell, Texas USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane, there is no restriction on how a city or county can hire a new employee, provided that the manner adopted does not discriminate. For example, it is not uncommon for one department in a city or county to hire an employee from within that same jurisdiction to fill a vacancy. However, whatever hiring is done must, of course, be related to the job qualifications themselves, and the better practice is to advertise and interview. My experience has been that you get better employees.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<hollandTDCAA>
posted
This chapter requires certain agencies to list the opening with the Texas Employment Commission, who then publicly lists the vacancy. The chapter also encourages certain state agencies to use other sources to advertise the vacancy.

The chapter applies to the executive and judicial branches of government as well as universities. I didn't find a similar provision applicable to cities or counties generally in the Government Code, nor was I able to find one elsewhere in the statutes.

It looks to me as if you are fine.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help!

Shane

Posts: 39 | Location: Haskell, Texas USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post