TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Animal Control Ordinance Limiting # of dogs/cats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animal Control Ordinance Limiting # of dogs/cats Login/Join 
posted
We currently have an animal control ordinance in place, but my commissioners want to look at limiting the number of dogs and cats an owner is allowed to have. Does anyone have such an ordinance? Thoughts on this? I know a lot of cities have them, but I have not been able to find any counties have implemented such an ordinance. If anyone has any suggestions, advice, or input, it would be appreciated. You are welcome to email me.

Posts: 10 | Location: Athens, Texas | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
General rule is Counties must have authority to act, I would suggest looking into Health & Safety Code Chapter 826, Rabies Control to see if what they want can fit within that law, it is broadest of power to counties regarding dogs. You can check Chapter 822, which for local option election on dor regulation & registration. None of them specifically authorize kennel & population regulation. Occupations Code Chapter 802 regulates dog & cat breeders, look at Texas Administrative Code Chap 91

Posts: 3 | Location: Groveton, Texas USA | Registered: August 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe, thanks for your response, I believe you have identified my concerns.

Posts: 10 | Location: Athens, Texas | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe has it right. Counties, with the possible exception of the megas like Harris County, do not have the authority to limit numbers or regulate kennels.

That said - if you have "bad" situation, you may be able to work with your county health department and declare it a nuisance or public health hazard. If the facts are bad enough, you may be able to work via the cruelty sections of the PC and include changes / limits for that facility in your plea agreement.

Overall limits? Nope.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post