TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Architectural/Construction/Engineering Agreements
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Architectural/Construction/Engineering Agreements Login/Join 
posted
At the Civil Seminar we talked about developing a standard agreement so that we could get away from the AIA forms. Is there any interest in this? I would be willing to compile them and submit them to the powers that be for blessing.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be in favor of this.

Posts: 11 | Location: Amarillo, TX | Registered: May 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, brothers (and any sisters who want to join the crusade)!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I whole-heartedly agree with replacing AIA with our documents. Let me know how I can help.

Posts: 5 | Location: Laredo, Texas | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very much in favor of drafting our own and will be willing to help in any way I can.

Posts: 5 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: April 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great idea. I'll help.

Posts: 3 | Location: Athens, Texas | Registered: May 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David,
Why don't those of us who are going to the annual meeting plan on bringing copies of what we currently have in the way of these agreements? Maybe we could arrange to get together and discuss the pros and cons and come up with a format that we could share through TDCAA. Beni

Posts: 5 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: April 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has there been any movement in this area? It is a continually frustrating matter to have to compete with the purchasing agent, county engineer, and outside engineers and architects on this matter. mad

Posts: 5 | Location: Laredo, Texas | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As anybody created an AIA alternative to the "general conditions" document for construction projects?

Posts: 27 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: March 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But am sure in favor of this project! Let me know how I can help!

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard a rumor that the Contracts presentation will have General Conditions amended and the CM at Risk as amended and the Architect contract used by a large county in the Metroplex area.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also hear that the contracts presenter will be fabulously entertaining, and will be distributing coveted prizes throughout the presentation. Perhaps those coveted prizes include alternative language to the AIA general conditions. Big Grin

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free beer might get more attention as a prize!

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would share mine, but inspired or despired Eek by the copyright placed on all such contract language by the Red FaceA Red FaceI Red FaceA Red Face.....welllllllllll..........I am certain that there will be spies, and whoever this person is from Tarrant County, should beware of the Income and Prosperity Committee of the AIA......... might be looking............and they file those suits in Minnesota or Kentucky or anywhere else Confused but Texas.......... Big Grin

Suggest a disguise Cool might be appropriate...... Wink

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tarrant would not stoop to use their form. We can type Big Grin

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They already have a copyright on the phrase "General Conditions" Roll Eyes be they amended or otherwise..............

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are trying to build a new jail and the Judge has plopped a contract from the construction manager at risk candidate. It is a 1991 edition AIA document A121/CMc adn AGC Document 565 along with and AIA 201 General Conditions. Any body ever dealt with one of these? What should I be on the lookout for?

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, my advice is run like hell anytime anyone even mentions "AIA" anything. We just went through a total nightmare, because a former County Judge used an AIA set of forms for courthouse renovation. To top that off, they opted for a CMA arrangement nine months before counties were allowed to use that method. If you are strapped with them, eliminate the arbitration clause and insert a mediation paragraph. It's not as crucial now that immunity has been lost for construction contracts, but the arbitration industry is a racket. The procedure costs pretty much the same as litigation and can last just as long, plus you get a jury of 1. Another big problem with the AIA sets is that usually no one takes the trouble to totally vet the set and make sure everything is consistent throughout the myriads of documents. Go with RFP using the competitive proposal procedure. Frame your own basic agreement. You get 1) a turn key price, or as close as you can; 2) a realistic opportunity to review the entire game plan before a contractor is cut loose on the project; 3) you're not limited to the lowest bid, and 4) you will probably not spend endless hours advising your officials on how to get out of the mess they got themselves into.

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're about to build a new jail and Sheriff's Office, and the architect likes the AIA form. We're also in the process of selecting a Construction Manager at Risk. Does anyone have sample changes to the AIA form or other language they like to use for architects and CMRs? Any additional things to watch out for in these contracts?

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull up Ray Rike's old papers, or get hold of him. Do NOT use AIA. We used a CMAR...for whatever good it did us....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post