Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public Records Login/Join 
posted
I have a records request from an ISD.

They are asking for all reports, charges, or statements dealing with x, y, and z. (Three 17 y/o males).

As I read Govt. Code 552.108 the only info I am required to give is the basic arrest info.

Am I right?

Just to throw in an extra twist, they have not been arrested on the charges, as yet.

(BTW they are charged with cattle theft)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
General rule is you have to give them everything they ask for unless you have an a.g. opinion saying otherwise. So unless the a.g. has made a prior determination as to the same records, you need to request an a.g. opinion within 10 business days of receiving the request, asserting the exceptions you think apply. 552.108 and 552.103 (anticipated litigation) come to mind.

Since no arrest has been made, you may be able to convince the a.g. that release of any info would interfere with investigation and prosecution of the crime.

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To whom is the request directed? To the County? To the prosecutor?

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post