TDCAA Community
Retire/rehire policy

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/3541036821

May 01, 2006, 09:10
Debra Mergel
Retire/rehire policy
Will anyone share his/her county's retire/rehire policy as it relates to retirement insurance benefits?

Only recently is it possible for a Waller County employee to receive annuity payments as a retiree while working (again) for the county. The fear is that the employee may not be eligible for retirement insurance benefits when he/she separates from employment a second time.
May 01, 2006, 11:29
Boyd Kennedy
Isn't it up to TCDRS to make decisions about retirement eligibility and benefits? As I understand it, there is a difference between retirement (a matter between the employee and TCDRS) and resignation (a matter between the employee and the county). At the state level, an employee can come and go from state employment at will, but he only "retires" once, as far as ERS is concerned.
May 04, 2006, 10:36
HughC
940-349-2755

I hear he has retired from El Paso County, Dallas County and Denton County and still works at Denton County.

Also - if you talk to him try to convince him to spread some of his retirement cash around to his worker bees at the civil section. He's rich and doesnt need it.
May 04, 2006, 10:48
Scott Brumley
Come on, Hugh. We all know how lavishly compensated you rug lawyers in the Denton CDA civil division are.

I don't know the practical mechanics of it, but I do know that the legislature during the last regular session amended the TCDRS statute to allow retirees to return to work with the original county or district they worked for without adversely affecting their entitlement to accumulate retirement credit. If memory serves, there is a proviso that requires a one-month break in service. Precisely how that works in reality, regarding continuing to draw retirement benefits, while also pulling down a current paycheck from the county, is a matter that would have to be answered by the much-smarter folks at TCDRS.