TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Commissioner Personal pickup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commissioner Personal pickup Login/Join 
posted
Candidate campaigned on not using a county pickup in is duties as commissioner if elected......the question has arisen, what precautions if any are needed when he is driving his personal vehicle while he is performing his official duties?

Have the County named as an additional insured on his personal policy?
To what amount?
Provide him a vehicle, despite his campaign promises, so we can ensure it is insured?

Any one else have any ideas?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be best to pitch back to him the alternatives and let him reach his own conclusion (including political considerations). If he keeps his campaign promise, but causes injury or property damage (or damages his own pickup) while ostensibly "on duty," the law on whether he is acting in the course and scope of his employment is anything but definitive. Meaning, he could wind up picking up the tab all by himself. Faced with that potential, reneging on the campaign promise may seem like a much more practical solution. He's not likely to be too enthused about adding the county as an additional insured, either, so--on the assumption that he will in fact be doing a good bit of driving as part of his duties (we don't deal with that here, as our commissioners aren't "road commissioners")--it sounds like a county ride is probably the most prudent alternative.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott!
I agree.....The county already has a pickup for that position, so no new purchase is necessary.
I am going to advise him to use the county truck for county business. Of course he will tell everyone " well the county attorney said I had to drive a county pickup"! I have come to expect it over the years....

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post