TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    "Master Planned Communities"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Master Planned Communities" Login/Join 
posted
What do you consider as a "master planned community"? There is no definition anywhare in the Transportation Code, or in any other code for that matter. The issue has been coming up in connection with people using golf carts for transportation. I'm hoping forum members can help clarify this issue. All help will be appreciated.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are various definitions of or references to "planned community" in the Health & Safety Code, the Local Government Code, the Special Districts Code and the Transportation Code.

Some of them refer to a development "originally established under the Urban Growth and New Community Development Act of 1970 (42 U.S.C. Section 4501 et seq.), and that is subject to restrictive covenants containing ad valorem or annual variable budget based assessments on real property."

Posts: 90 | Location: Lockhart TX | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done some checking using Google. A few of the real estate sites in Texas define a master planned community as more than a subdivision with a pool and a park. Rather, they define them as being a large tract of land, developed by one company, that contains a variety of housing units; commercial space for shops, doctors, etc.; sites for schools; recreation space like parks, walking trails, and pools; etc. A common example these sites use is "The Woodlands" in Conroe. I just wish the Legislature would clarify this issue so we can answer all the questions on when it is legal to operate a golf cart on a public road.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post