TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Use of Commissary Proceeds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of Commissary Proceeds Login/Join 
posted
I have been asked by my Sheriff if proceeds from the commissary operation may be used to purchase vehicles for the transport of inmates. Other sheriff's offices in the area apparently have done so.

I have a bit of a problem saying that a transport vehicle is equipment that provides for the well-being, health, safety, and security of the inmates, especially given the other enumerated uses for commissary proceeds in sec. 351.0415(c) and also the proviso in sec. 351.0415(g) that the commissioners may not sue commissary proceeds to offset the jail budget. (References are to the Local Gov't Code.)

If anyone who has given their sheriff an opinion on this question would weigh in, whether on here or in an email to me at jtirey[at]halecounty[dot]org, I would appreciate it very much.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post