TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    severance package, legality
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

severance package, legality Login/Join 
posted
County owned hospital hiring a new CEO. The candidate wants language in the contract that should the contrcat be terminated without "good cause" prior to the termination date the county will still be bound to the amounts remaining thereunder or, alternatively, a severance payment of X months will be made. It seems both these cases attempt to compensate an employee for services not rendered.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone have a form for professional services agreement with a county employee I can borrow?
Thanks,
Mike Hartman

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No help. JUst advice. Go to the next candidate.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike -
This feels really dangerous - I don't have any cites for you, but anytime a prospective "upper level" employee wants answers like this at the beginning, it isn't a good sign for the end. SOrt of like petting a porcupine from back to front - can be a sticky situation...

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Structured a longevity scheme where a portion of the payment is earned each month of employment. If we reach the 3 year anniversary, no payment is owed on termination. If we terminate prior to the 3 years, the ceo is entitled to the longevity pay with the release of claims language upon acceptance of payment(thanks Ray). If the ceo terminates, no pay. That way we are not compensating for work not performed and it allows the ceo to "earn" for each month until they reach the cap.
How's that for a convoluted plan to get a professional to move to Snyder?

posted Hide Post
I've been to Snyder, It's gonna take more than creativity...

Posts: 56 | Location: Plainview, Texas | Registered: September 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know, that's why we had to throw in more cash. Plus a promise never to force the CEO to attend continuing education in Amarillo!

posted Hide Post
Good come back, Mike.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post