TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    can county regulate billboards??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can county regulate billboards?? Login/Join 
posted
Is there any authority for commissioners court to regulate the placement of billboards in the unincorporated areas of the county?? It seems I looked this up before, but cannot find it now.

Thanks

Posts: 50 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on location as to whether in county right of way or property, but generally I do not know of any such authority as for private property.
However TxDOT along thier roads do have such power, per a recent Texas Supreme Court discussed earlier in this website on first amendment issues and Cities in the etj ares under local govt code 216.001 et seq.also have some authority. There may be some powers that are incidental to life, fire or other clear safety regulatory areas.

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Texas Beautification Act, Tex Transp. Code ch. 341. Also TXDOT's Rule (43 TAC ch. 21, Subch. I, I think). They also refer to Transp. Code section 544.006. There are very definite rules about billboards and signs.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, it is Transportaion Code ch. 391.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes but the real power to regulate in these sections belongs to the state and not the county. There is also the delicate issue of the first amendment discussed in the forum "tis the Seaon" and the texas supreme court in Barber v. Galleo Smile

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post