TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Creating an LLP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creating an LLP Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone here started an LLP in TX before?

I'm looking at 152.802 of the Bus. Org. Code and it looks as if its almost too easy, which makes me wonder if i'm missing something.

According to this section I can just type up an 'application' and include the LLP's name, tax ID, address, number of partners, a brief statement of business purpose, and send in my $200 per partner fee and then poof, I have an LLP as long as I maintain at least $100K of insurance.

I've gotten the tax ID and have an 'application' ready to go, am I missing something?

thanks in advance.

btw, this isn't for a law practice. i'm staying in prosecution.

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have the essential steps. The last Articles of Partnership that I drafted ran a page and a half. The Articles are what you file with the Sec'y of State to register your entity. The real work (and the reason Commercial Lawyers get the big bucks) comes when you draft the Limited Partnership Agreement (similar to corporate bylaws) that provides the rules under which the partnership will operate. The set I put together that went with the Articles mentioned above ran about 30 single-spaced pages...and it was pretty basic. And many LLP's have as their General Partner a separate entity (often a corporation or LLC) that requires a whole new set of Articles of Formation and another set of Bylaws. Good luck!

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post