TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Forfeitures - LE show me the money!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forfeitures - LE show me the money! Login/Join 
posted
Law enforcement spends a few hours seizing a vehicle. We spend weeks or months to get it forfeited. LE puts the vehicle in service for a few years before selling it at auction. LE got to use the vehicle, and still gets some money out of it. At best we get a fraction of the depreciated sales price, years after forfeiture. That's it. Does anyone have a good solution for this? I'm working on new agreements.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Include some language like this:

quote:
All non-monetary property seized, including motor vehicles, will be sold with the proceeds transferred as detailed above [with certain percentage to the DA]. The Department will be responsible for ensuring that all bidding laws are complied with regarding disposition of any seized property and that proper accounting procedures are followed regarding distribution of any seized money or property.

The District Attorney, at its discretion, may transfer ownership of a forfeited motor vehicle to the Department pursuant to Article 59.06(b) of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, upon receipt of thirty percent (30%) of the Blue Book value of the vehicle at the time of seizure or $_____, whichever is greater. The Department will be responsible for satisfying any existing liens against the forfeited motor vehicle.

Posts: 90 | Location: Lockhart TX | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting approach. Thanks!

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post