TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Execution of Judgment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Execution of Judgment Login/Join 
posted
The sheriff has come to me with a question that would normally be answered by the county attorney. I have been poking around but can't seem to find the right answer.

Plaintiff gets judgment in DTPA case. Defendant does construction work and is always leaving jobs half finished. Plaintiff files a "Writ of Execution of Judgment" that requires the sheriff to seize certain property...including trailers and tools owned by Defendant.

Sheriff seized the property (following advise of county attorney) and now wants to know what to do with it.

I am looking at Section 34 of Civil Practice and Remedies Code and wondering exactly what authority sheriff had to seize property and how he disposes of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the writ of execution and the judgment and the orders of the court that issued the writ of execution. That should tell you what you need to know.

The sheriff holds the property under the court's writ and orders; the court can have post-judgment proceedings and issue orders if needed to clarify what should happen next if the writ is ambiguous. But first, read the writ.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The writ is signed by a deputy district clerk. It directs the Sheriff to take a trailer and all of its contents. Then it says that the sheriff should keep the property pending further proceedings to be had by the Court.

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. That's clear enough. Someone wants that property -- that someone can push the court to get those further proceedings going as soon as possible. I assume the Sheriff has reported to the Court that he is holding the property pursuant to the court's writ and subject to its further (written) orders.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. The sheriff reported to the court that the property was in hand. He has made a complete inventory of everything and is awaiting word from the court. The plaintiff's counsel, in the meantime, has disappeared.

posted Hide Post
There's no reason the defense counsel can't try to move the hearing forward; might actually get the stuff back for his/her client.